Board Meeting Minutes: February 2016

MINUTES OF WILDERNESS PROPERTY OWNERS’ ASSOCIATION BOARD MEETING

February 11, 2016

The regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Wilderness Property Owners’ Association was held on Thursday, February 11, 2016 in the home of Dick Fankhauser. Vice President Larry Rus called the meeting to order at 7:13 p.m. Board members present were Larry Rus, Linda Liu, Dick Fankhauser and John Cusick. Phil Harlan was absent. Prospective board member Ken Elgin was in attendance also.

MINUTES:

The minutes of the January 14, 2016 meeting were previously approved via email.

TREASURER’S REPORT:

The Treasurer’s Report, as prepared by John Cusick, was filed. Approximately 60 property owners have not paid their 2016 dues of which seven are carryovers from previous years.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS:

Wilderness Sign Repair or Replacement (Wilderness/Boulevard): One half of the cost of a new entrance sign at Boulevard Road has been paid to Buffalo Signs in the amount of $1,115.26. The remaining half will be paid upon completion and installation of the sign.

Greenbelt/Tree Management:

  1. Remaining tree issues: Larry will get data in spread sheet format from Cherryl
  2. Potential danger tree at 2634-36 Wilderness Drive duplex: Dick will contact tree arborist…
  3. Certified tree arborists: John contacted the City of Olympia Arborist to get a current list of certified tree arborists.  She advised him it is best to access the “ISA” (International Society of Arboriculture) website and search by location for current certified arborists when one is needed.
  4. Dick will obtain full-sized maps of all of the plat maps for the Wilderness development

WPOA Document Cleanup and Scanning: Larry will contact Phil and Cherryl regarding status of this.

Open Board Positions: We now have two open board positions. Larry suggested that if we know of any interest to report back.

Update of Website: Larry will contact Toby regarding posting new officers and two years of board meeting minutes on the website.

Mailing Lists: John and Larry are coordinating the email and snail mail lists for notifying residents of board changes and other issues. John uses the lists for dues notification and collection.

Coalition of Neighborhood Association Steering Committee: Linda is now our official representative on this committee and will be attending upcoming meetings.

NEW BUSINESS:

Progress Report on Log Cabin Reservoir, LBA Woods Park and Doggy Bags: Larry attended a public meeting regarding the Log Cabin Reservoir and gave a brief report. There was nothing new to report on LBA Woods Park. Linda reported that she visited all of the Doggy Bag distribution sites with Cherryl and ordered a one year supply of replacement bags.

Board Liability: John discovered in reviewing our insurance policy with State Farm that liability coverage for board members had been discontinued some time back. He brought an application to the meeting to apply for reinstatement of the liability coverage.

Current By-Laws and Covenants: Discussion centered on how to enforce Covenants. It was suggested, as a first step, to talk with offenders and document all contacts with them. A paper trail is necessary in any kind of legal action. It was determined that we would devote an entire meeting to this subject at a later date when Larry returns from vacation.

Semi-Annual Association Meeting: There was some discussion regarding the date of the Semi-Annual meeting in June but no date was set.

Vacation of Existing Easements: There was some discussion regarding the vacation of easements and specifically the one on Pinebrook Drive where the old bus stop shelter was located. Dick will research this and get back to the board.

Future Meeting Dates: Future Board meeting dates will be the second Wednesday of each month.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:04 p.m. The next Board meeting will be held at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at Dick Fankhauser’s home.

Respectfully submitted,

Dick Fankhauser, Secretary

Board Meeting Minutes: December 2015

MINUTES OF WILDERNESS PROPERTY OWNERS’ ASSOCIATION BOARD MEETING

December 8, 2015

 

The regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Wilderness Property Owners’ Association was held on Tuesday, December 8, 2015 in the home of President Cherryl Steben. Cherryl called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m. Board members present were Cherryl Steben, Larry Rus, Linda Liu, Dick Fankhauser, John Cusick and Phil Harlan.

 

MINUTES: The minutes of the November 17, 2015 Board meeting were read. Cherryl stated that she has been on the Board for eight years and seven years as president. Minutes were approved as corrected.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT: The Treasurer’s Report, as prepared by John Cusick, was filed. Statements for 2016 dues will be going out mid January. There may a small amount of funds to be carried over to 2016.

 

UNFINISHED BUSINESS: Wilderness Sign Repair or Replacement (Wilderness/Boulevard): Two bids received, Cherryl will clarify bids. Carry-over funds from 2016 may be used for the sign replacement, however, we will wait to see if additional funds are needed for greenbelt management.

 

Traffic Calming Research: Larry obtained information from a County representative. The idea of using a “radar speed trailer” was discussed. Larry will call and get us on the list to be able to use one for a short period of time. Regarding speed bumps, someone will have to monitor traffic speeds, 60% of residents need to be in favor of having them installed, and of course the residents have to pay for them. Cherryl will make it an item in the newsletter to see if there is any interest.

Street Lighting Upgrades: Cherryl will follow up on this.

 

Greenbelt/Tree Management: The Board gave consent for Cherryl to award the tree removal contract at Leon’s in the amount of $1,800.00 to Capital Tree Service.

 

WPOA Document Cleanup and Scanning: Cherryl will complete. Source for scanning remaining documents no longer exists. John will check with Secretary of State’s office to determine legalities of what should be retained.

 

WPOA Work Parties: Phil will haul debris away from last work party north of Wilderness Drive at Boulevard Road.

 

Open Board Position: Cherryl will post in the next newsletter.

 

Proposed Log Cabin Reservoir (water tank) Status and Ashton Woods Development:  Nothing new to report.

 

NEW BUSINESS:

Items For Handoff: This being Cherryl’s last meeting she had some items to handoff to others. Linda agreed to take on bag replacements and the dog bag stations. A non-handoff item was that Cherryl agreed to continue writing the newsletter.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:14 p.m. The next Board meeting will be held at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at Dick Fankhauser’s home.

 

Respectfully submitted, Dick Fankhauser, Secretary

Semi Annual WPOA Meeting Minutes: November 2015

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL MEETING OF THE WILDERNESS PROPERTY OWNERS’ ASSOCIATION (WPOA)

November 17, 2015

 

The annual meeting of the WPOA was held on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 in “The Barn” at Grace Community Covenant Church.  President Cherryl Steben called the meeting to order at 7:06 PM.  In addition to Ms. Steben, board members, Phil Harlan, Larry Rus, Dick Fankhauser, Linda Liu and John Cusick were present.  A total of 15 property owners were present, not constituting a quorum.

 

Members were encouraged to sign in and to also provide their emails for future notifications and information.

 

MINUTES:  Minutes of the previous board meeting were not read but were approved by the board members.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  John Cusick handed out copies of the Treasurer’s Report: the Profit & Loss Budget vs. Actual and the Balance Sheet.  He stated that seven property owners have not paid their dues to date. He went over some categories with dollar amounts projected to 12/31/15. He then asked if there were any questions. No action was taken on the Treasurer’s Report. Linda Liu reported that she tried to call all of the property owner’s whose dues remain delinquent. Some phone numbers were disconnected and she asked for call backs where there were answering machines. She will continue to try to reach them.

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:  Ms. Steben began her report by announcing that she was resigning from the board at the end of 2015. She explained that she has served on the board for seven years, six years as president, and it was time to do other things, including a new job.

 

She provided an overview of the Board’s recent activities, including a work party in July to clean up the area in and behind the Juniper shrubs north of Wilderness Drive near Boulevard Road. She briefly discussed burglaries and property damage and directed members to the contact information in the newsletter for various needs. She also reported that she has obtained two bids for replacement of the Boulevard Road entrance sign. However, we are holding off doing that work until tree management costs for the year are finalized.  There was some discussion regarding common area maintenance and the possibility of private ownership of the common areas. It was concluded that it could be done but would be nearly insurmountable.

 

NEW BUSINESS:

Proposed 2016 Budget – The budget was presented and changes from last year were discussed. One change was the inclusion of an additional lot that increased the budget by $175.00. The budget was approved as presented.

 

John Cusick recognized Cherryl for all of her hard work for the Association and presented her with a gift from the board.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Dick Fankhauser, Secretary

 

Board Meeting Minutes: October 2015

MINUTES OF WILDERNESS PROPERTY OWNERS’ ASSOCIATION BOARD MEETING

October 14, 2015

 

The regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Wilderness Property Owners’ Association was held on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 in the home of President Cherryl Steben. Cherryl called the meeting to order at 6:07 p.m. Board members present were Cherryl Steben, Larry Rus, Linda Liu, Dick Fankhauser, and John Cusick. Phil Harlan was absent.

 

MINUTES: The minutes of the June 16, 2015 Board meeting were read. Minutes were approved as read. Approval of May 2015 minutes postponed until next meeting.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT: The Treasurer’s Report, as prepared by John Cusick, was filed. To date, 7 property owners have not paid their 2015 dues. As a reminder, Linda Liu will contact those who haven’t paid.

 

UNFINISHED BUSINESS:

 

Wilderness sign repair or replacement (Wilderness/Boulevard): two bids received, Cherryl will clarify bids. When clarified and approved, this will be paid for out of the Common Area Maintenance.

 

Retention pond weed control:  Dick presented cost proposal from South Sound Lawn Care of $200 twice per year. Motion was made and approved to modify landscape contract to include this cost.

 

Traffic Calming Research: call back pending from County representative. Larry will follow up.

 

Street Lighting upgrades: PSE response pending regarding cost of changing the street lights in Wilderness to LED and other alternatives.

 

Greenbelt/Tree Management: Delays in getting to approved work done in Wilderness is because of recent storm damage. Sign work at Boulevard Road may be delayed because of need to address newly discovered danger trees. Cherryl is working on WPOA liability regarding a large maple that fell in a yard on Claridge.

 

Olympia Coalition of Neighborhood Associations:  WPOA is first member from Olympia Urban Growth Area. Cherryl has not attended meetings but gets meeting minutes. Do we want Board attendance now? Linda to check with Jane about attendance.

 

WPOA Document cleanup and scanning: Pending.

 

WPOA work parties: Cherryl will check on having debris hauled away from last work party north of Wilderness Drive at Boulevard Road.

 

Open Board position: Linda Liu was approved to fill that position via email between Board members. Cherryl will find and forward that action to us.

 

Proposed Log Cabin reservoir (water tank) status:  Nothing new to report.

 

Ashton Woods: Nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

NEW BUSINESS:

 

Weeding junipers north of Wilderness Drive at Boulevard Road: Dick was asked to get cost proposal from Landscape Maintenance contractor.

 

QuickBooks: Motion made and approved to purchase QuickBooks license. John has been using his personal license.

 

2016 Budget: Proposed changes to the budget for next year are as follows:

Reduce Postage expense to $100.00

Reduced Legal Filing Fees expense to $100.00

Add $400.00 to Insurance expense for total of $2,150.00

Add $100.00 to Greenbelt/Tree Maintenance expense for total of $21,030.00

Add $175.00 to total Annual Dues for additional parcel not included last year

 

Sad news: Cherryl announced that after serving seven years on the Board and six years as chairperson, she is resigning effective the end of this year.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:52 p.m. The next Board meeting will be the Semi-annual meeting to be held at 7:00 p.m. on November 17, 2015 at the Covenant Church in “The Barn”.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Dick Fankhauser, Secretary

Semi Annual WPOA Meeting Minutes: June 2015

MINUTES OF THE SEMI-ANNUAL MEETING OF THE WILDERNESS PROPERTY OWNERS’ ASSOCIATION (WPOA)

June 16, 2015

 

The semi-annual meeting of the WPOA was held on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at Grace Community Covenant Church.  President Cherryl Steben called the meeting to order at 7:08 PM.  In addition to Ms. Steben, board members Phil Harlan, Larry Rus, Dick Fankhauser, and Jane Stavish were present.  A total of 25 property owners were present, not constituting a quorum. The meeting was informational only and no business took place.

 

MINUTES:  Minutes of the previous meeting were not read.

 

Ms. Steben opened the meeting by introducing Andy Haub, Water Resources Director for the City of Olympia. Mr.Haub gave a presentation regarding the Log Cabin reservoir project. The project has been in planning for 12 years and is budgeted at $12 million. It will be placed on a five acre parcel just north of Wilderness. Design is scheduled to be 30% complete by fall. Construction will begin next spring and take nine months to complete. The reservoir will be 140 feet tall and 90 feet in diameter. It will be 417 feet above sea level.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  No Treasurer’s report was given.

 

Ms. Steben provided an overview of the Board’s recent activities, including assessing and taking action on greenbelt trees. She reported that $4,400 has been spent to date on greenbelt management and another approximately $10,000 of work is in the bidding stage. A question was raised about replanting trees in the greenbelt. Cherryl answered that we haven’t been doing that because there are enough existing trees.

 

Cherryl then once again encouraged property owners to put away garbage and recycle containers after pick up, to not park cars on lawns and to not dump yard waste in the green belt.

 

She announced that work parties are scheduled in the community from 8:00 AM to noon on June 27th, July 18th, August 15th and September 19th. Sign up lists were provided for work party volunteers. Regarding the work parties, Cherryl reported that the one in June will concentrate on cleaning up the junipers at the Boulevard Road entrance including cutting them back to make room for the bus stop and for better access to the fire hydrant.

 

Jane then reported that ditch cleanup hopefully will take place in August depending on authorization from various jurisdictions. Jane also encouraged residents to remove ivy from their yards and to participate in the work parties. She cautioned not to put ivy in yard waste containers as that spreads the noxious weed that much further.

 

Other discussions centered around the sign replacement at Boulevard Road, our participation in the Olympia Coalition of Neighborhood Associations, a report on the initiation of the Neighborhood Watch program in Wilderness, speed watch efforts, and an update on the Ashton Woods potential housing development north of Wilderness.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:35 PM.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Dick Fankhauser, Secretary

 

Board Meeting Minutes: May 2015

MINUTES OF WILDERNESS PROPERTY OWNERS’ ASSOCIATION BOARD MEETING

May 26, 2015

 

The regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Wilderness Property Owners’ Association was held on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 in the home of President Cherryl Steben. Cherryl called the meeting to order at 7:06 p.m. Board members present were Cherryl Steben, Larry Rus, Jane Stavish, Phil Harlan and John Cusick. Dick Fankhauser was absent.

 

MINUTES: The minutes of the April 8, 2015 Board meeting were read. Minutes were approved as read.

 

TREASURER’S REPORT: The Treasurer’s Report, as prepared by John Cusick, was filed. To date, 8 property owners have not paid their 2015 dues. Of those, five have not paid for years previous to 2015.

 

UNFINISHED BUSINESS:

 

Wilderness sign repair or replacement (Wilderness/Boulevard): 1 bid received, 2 more in process.

 

Traffic Calming Research: call back pending from County representative.

 

Street Lighting upgrades: PSE response pending regarding cost of changing the street lights in Wilderness to LED vs other alternatives.

 

Greenbelt/Tree Management:

 

Harry Leons at 3141 Wilderness – Maple hanging over yard from greenbelt

Steve Mildenberger at 2644 Wilderness Drive – Leaning tree in greenbelt

Pat Chapman at 4607 Claridge – Maple hanging over house from greenbelt

Cameron Kukes at 4642 Claridge – Ivy in greenbelt

John Ruffier at 3313 46th Ct SE – Possible dead or diseased tree in greenbelt next to their property – concerned about hitting house if they come down

Campeau at 4501 Frontier Ct SE – dead snag

 

Bids have been received on several from one tree service company and are pending receipt from other companies.  Board will likely conduct vote via e-mail once all bids received.

 

Pending completion of bids, motion was made and approved to contract for up to $600 with certified arborist to assess what to do with maples (3141 Wilderness, 4607 Claridge and revisit of one at 4633 Claridge).

 

Remaining bus stop concrete pad partially on Kevin Beck’s property:  Motion made and approved to endorse Cherryl Steben’s May 8, 2015, reply to Mr. Beck.

 

Olympia Coalition of Neighborhood Associations:  WPOA is first member from Olympia Urban Growth Area.

 

WPOA Document cleanup and scanning: Pending.

 

 

 

WPOA work parties:  Homeowners are encouraged to organize their own, provided scope of work is first approved by Board.  WPOA is tentatively scheduling work parties on June 20, July 18, August 15 and September 19, 2015.

 

2015 Newsletter #1:  Content was reviewed and suggested revisions are being considered.

 

Open Board position: Will advertise in newsletter.  Reaching out to potential candidates is encouraged.

 

Neighborhood watch program:  Purchase of 4 point of entry signs approved at last meeting pending.  Larry Rus also is working on organizing his immediate neighborhood.

 

Proposed Log Cabin reservoir (water tank) status:  City of Olympia officials coming to next WPOA meeting to discuss plans.

 

Ashton Woods (formerly Trillium) development status:  400 homes proposed consistent with new zoning.  DR Horton recently filed proposal.  Public comment period and hearing pending.

 

 

NEW BUSINESS:

 

Semi-annual meeting on June 16, 2015:  Jane Stavish and John Cusick unable to attend as both are out of town.  Agenda plans were briefly discussed.

 

Retention pond week control:  Motion was made and approved to review and modify landscape contract to include periodic weed whacking for proper stormwater control.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:49 p.m. The next Board meeting will be held at Cherryl’s home at 7:00 p.m. on a date to be determined.

 

Respectfully submitted,

John Cusick, Treasurer