Board Meeting Minutes: February 2016


February 11, 2016

The regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Wilderness Property Owners’ Association was held on Thursday, February 11, 2016 in the home of Dick Fankhauser. Vice President Larry Rus called the meeting to order at 7:13 p.m. Board members present were Larry Rus, Linda Liu, Dick Fankhauser and John Cusick. Phil Harlan was absent. Prospective board member Ken Elgin was in attendance also.


The minutes of the January 14, 2016 meeting were previously approved via email.


The Treasurer’s Report, as prepared by John Cusick, was filed. Approximately 60 property owners have not paid their 2016 dues of which seven are carryovers from previous years.


Wilderness Sign Repair or Replacement (Wilderness/Boulevard): One half of the cost of a new entrance sign at Boulevard Road has been paid to Buffalo Signs in the amount of $1,115.26. The remaining half will be paid upon completion and installation of the sign.

Greenbelt/Tree Management:

  1. Remaining tree issues: Larry will get data in spread sheet format from Cherryl
  2. Potential danger tree at 2634-36 Wilderness Drive duplex: Dick will contact tree arborist…
  3. Certified tree arborists: John contacted the City of Olympia Arborist to get a current list of certified tree arborists.  She advised him it is best to access the “ISA” (International Society of Arboriculture) website and search by location for current certified arborists when one is needed.
  4. Dick will obtain full-sized maps of all of the plat maps for the Wilderness development

WPOA Document Cleanup and Scanning: Larry will contact Phil and Cherryl regarding status of this.

Open Board Positions: We now have two open board positions. Larry suggested that if we know of any interest to report back.

Update of Website: Larry will contact Toby regarding posting new officers and two years of board meeting minutes on the website.

Mailing Lists: John and Larry are coordinating the email and snail mail lists for notifying residents of board changes and other issues. John uses the lists for dues notification and collection.

Coalition of Neighborhood Association Steering Committee: Linda is now our official representative on this committee and will be attending upcoming meetings.


Progress Report on Log Cabin Reservoir, LBA Woods Park and Doggy Bags: Larry attended a public meeting regarding the Log Cabin Reservoir and gave a brief report. There was nothing new to report on LBA Woods Park. Linda reported that she visited all of the Doggy Bag distribution sites with Cherryl and ordered a one year supply of replacement bags.

Board Liability: John discovered in reviewing our insurance policy with State Farm that liability coverage for board members had been discontinued some time back. He brought an application to the meeting to apply for reinstatement of the liability coverage.

Current By-Laws and Covenants: Discussion centered on how to enforce Covenants. It was suggested, as a first step, to talk with offenders and document all contacts with them. A paper trail is necessary in any kind of legal action. It was determined that we would devote an entire meeting to this subject at a later date when Larry returns from vacation.

Semi-Annual Association Meeting: There was some discussion regarding the date of the Semi-Annual meeting in June but no date was set.

Vacation of Existing Easements: There was some discussion regarding the vacation of easements and specifically the one on Pinebrook Drive where the old bus stop shelter was located. Dick will research this and get back to the board.

Future Meeting Dates: Future Board meeting dates will be the second Wednesday of each month.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:04 p.m. The next Board meeting will be held at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at Dick Fankhauser’s home.

Respectfully submitted,

Dick Fankhauser, Secretary