Board Meeting Minutes: December 2015


January 14, 2016.


The regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Wilderness Property Owners’ Association was held on Thursday, January 14, 2016 in the home of Dick Fankhauser. Vice President Larry Rus called the meeting to order at 7:14 p.m. Board members present were Larry Rus, Linda Liu, Dick Fankhauser, John Cusick and Phil Harlan.


MINUTES: The minutes of the December 8, 2015 meeting were approved as read.


TREASURER’S REPORT: The Treasurer’s Report, as prepared by John Cusick, was filed. Approximately 75 property owners have paid their 2016 dues.



Landscape Contract: Dick reported that the contract is ready for the newly elected president to sign.


Wilderness Sign Repair or Replacement (Wilderness/Boulevard): Two bids received. John will check with Cherryl to clarify low bidder. Motion was made and approved to authorize John to purchase sign using 2015 carry-over funds if bid is within those funds available.


Traffic Calming Research: Larry received a call from a County representative reporting that we are on the list to use a “radar speed trailer”. It will be available in the spring. Discussion took place regarding where it should be placed. Decided to wait to determine location until we know when we are going have use of the trailer.

Street Lighting Upgrades: Nothing to report.


Greenbelt/Tree Management: Dick received an email from Tom Solberg owner of a duplex at 2634-36 Wilderness Drive, advising us of a potential danger with a Maple tree there. Dick will get back to Mr. Solberg to determine our involvement. Larry will check with Cheryl regarding pending tree issues. John will get a current list of certified arborists from the City.


WPOA Document Cleanup and Scanning: Phil will check with Cherryl regarding status of this. Phil has a high speed scanner that can be used once documents have been sorted. Cheryl has agreed to do the sorting. John has checked with Secretary of State’s office to determine what document retention requirements are for HOAs. They referred him to the RCWs, which do not list any requirements. As he indicated in his December 10, 2015 e-mail, he suggests we follow the HOA guidance at, which suggests keeping any documents pertaining to the establishment of the HOA forever.


Open Board Positions: We now have two open board positions. Larry suggested that if we know of any interest to report back. John knows of a couple of potential candidates. He will check with them and, if they are interested, invite them to our next meeting.


Proposed Log Cabin Reservoir (water tank) Status and Ashton Woods Development:  Nothing new to report.



Election of Officers for 2016: Motion was made and approved to elect the following officers to the Wilderness Property Owner’s Board for 2016:

            President – Loren “Larry” Rus

            Vice President – Linda Liu

            Secretary – Richard “Dick” Fankhauser

            Treasurer – John Cusick


Check Signing by New Officers: Larry is a new signer along with John and Dick, previous signers. Larry will fill out a form and take it with a copy of these minutes to the bank. The bank will then prepare a contract which Larry, John and Dick will have to go into the bank to sign. That will establish them as signers on the account. The Association checking account requires two signatures on each check.


Water Problem at Linda Liu’s Property: There is an eight inch drain pipe on Linda’s property that appears to be leaking onto her property and onto the street. Linda had a meeting with John, the County and a contractor to review the situation. They determined that the pipe is plugged approximately eight feet from the catch basin at the street. The contractor will pump the pipe to try to locate the origin. If it is on Linda’s property then it is a property owner problem. It looks like it might be draining the swale between New Castle and Wilderness. If that is the case, we could be involved in negotiations with New Castle.


Other Assignments:

  1. Larry will remind Cherryl that she volunteered to continue to write the Newsletter
  2. Larry will get email addresses from Cherryl and/or John for purposes of future mailings.
  3. Linda will contact the Association of Neighborhoods to let them know that she is the new representative from Wilderness.
  4. Dick will arrange meeting with David Bell and Larry to discuss some issues that David wants to bring to the Board’s attention.


There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:09 p.m. The next Board meeting will be held at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at Dick Fankhauser’s home.


Respectfully submitted, Dick Fankhauser, Secretary